Monday, March 10, 2008

A Mental Game

I've only lost to one person in my women's tennis league and we had a rematch tonight. I lost the first set 3-6, that was disheartening. It took me a while to warm up and she just kept playing smart against me.

Coming into this match, I told myself: I will not lose!. Well, I already lost the first set and all I could hope for now is a tie (we don't play best out of 3, just 2 sets total - win both, or split). Still did not start off well, I was behind 0-3. Then finally, my serves started to pick up and I got my confidence back. All of a sudden it was 2-3. Then back in trouble at 2-4. Refused to give her a bigger lead and got up to 3-4. Then she held serve and I was in deep, deep trouble at 3-5.

"I will not lose this match! One point at a time. Come on Crissy!"

Held serve to get to 4-5, she had 3 match points and could not convert them. Losing that game so close to winning the match played with her head. Her mental game suffered and I broke her serve to get to 5-5. We each held serve to get to 6-6, again she had a couple of match points and I kept shutting her down.

I was determined not to lose, and my opponent was discouraged having to play a tie-breaker when she had several chances of ending the match.

Your mental game plays such a big part in tennis; it could make or break you in intense points. I have my weak moments; but tonight, I came out on top, winning the tie breaker 7-2.

Even though we split sets, technically a tie, I feel really good about my game tonight and how I pulled out of a hole. I did accomplish what I came in to do - I did not lose. We play the same team in two weeks and they may set up another rematch; looking forward to it.