Tuesday, October 9, 2007

JAZZ = Relaxation

As you all are aware, I nearly had a meltdown last week from a mountain of stress. It’s been so long since I have been in a school environment; two years in fact. Circumstances were different and I am ashamed to admit that I actually forgot how to handle it.

A good friend reminded me of the “big picture.” Exactly why am I in school? And what would happen if I were not successful this and following semesters?

I needed to take a step back and reevaluate my goals; and that’s exactly what I did. I took a step outside myself, pictured as if I was someone else watching this unmotivated, stressed out, defeated person. That was not very pretty; I did not recognize me at all. I remember myself as focused, organized, a force that no school work can devastate.

How can I get back who I was? I needed to start anew, and quickly. So, I turned out the lights, propped my legs up, and listened to Kind of Blue from my stereo. I had forgotten the power Miles Davis has on me. As soon as I heard the blaring trumpet and smooth resonance of saxophones, I was instantly refreshed. I gave myself an hour of stress-relieving music; afterward, I was focused and ready to regain control.

Thank you for all your help in getting me out of my slump. Rest assured that the bug won’t be making an appearance any time soon.

No comments: