Friday, October 12, 2007

Amaretto - a liqueur?!

Am I only one surprised to find that Amaretto is actually a liqueur?

It all started when Charlene brought in Orange flavored Milano cookies to work. Then someone suggested she try the Amaretto flavored ones. Then I said, "why would Milano make coffee flavored cookies? Most people dip their cookies in coffee so, wouldn't that just be coffee in coffee?"

Nothing but blank stares. "Isn't amaretto a kind of coffee?"

Still blank stares. I think they were trying to figure out who would break the news that I had been misinformed.

Finally, Linda spoke. Coffee, liqueur; liqueur, coffee. This was the topic of conversation for a surprisingly long time.

As my co-workers munch on their Milano cookies, I realized, if amaretto was a coffee flavor, wouldn't they just label it as coffee flavored?

Why did I not realize this before?

1 comment:

Indigo Serpent said...

Ha ha ha… that happened to me before.

Anyway, in case you want to skip the liqueur because you are saving your appetite for the real one, you can have the almond flavor. They taste the same. However, amaretto is not made of almonds but a sweet liqueur made from a basic infusion of the stones of drupe fruits, such as peaches, as well as a related almond biscotto.