Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Ups and Downs of the Game

I have had a long relationship with tennis for years. For the most part, it gives me hope and brings me joy. Then, there are times when it becomes the source of my frustration. Just a few days ago, I played some really good tennis - my hard work and practice really showed! Then, today - I BOMBED! My serves were not going in, my slices were coming up too short, my balls kept going out! All in all, it seemed as if I did not even know how to play! Anyone would've guessed it was my first time out on the tennis court!

I read this quote a long time ago and took it to heart: You play only as good as you practice. But what happens on off days? I refuse to accept that after all my practicing, the result and reward was that of today. Embarrassing! Unacceptable! What do we tell ourselves at times like these? What if this imbalance lasts longer than one day? Do we keep practicing? Are we just hanging on to false hope if we keep playing? Pretend the off day never happened?

Why can't there just be ups and no downs? Downs really bring me down! I hate downs! Then again, if this is down, then I have no where else to go but up.

Guess ups would not feel as rewarding until you realize you worked yourself up from a down. Question is, when is my up going to happen?

2 comments:

Indigo Serpent said...

You look good on the court so ...:-)

the Enemy said...

think only positive thoughts cris :)