Monday, November 26, 2007

The Tie That Felt Like a Win

There were deuces in every game. Down love-2, then 2-2, then 3-3, down again 3-5. It was my serve and got to 4-5, broke my opponent's serve and made it to 5-5. At this point, all the other matches were done and finished. It's been well over an hour and we are still on our first set. Up 6-5, my opponent held her serve to tie it up to 6-6.

Tie breaker is first to 7, win by two. I was down again 4-6, our team mates were watching which made both of us even more nervous. Broke both her serves to reach 6-6. Two set points saved! A long rally came next, a backhand volley winner gave me a set point. I felt so much pressure, really surprised what happened next: ACE! 8-6. First set cleared after nearly two hours of play!

The second set was also filled with deuces; but, unlike the first set, I was unable to convert any game points - losing the second set 1-6. Sad? I don't think so. The score does not say much but that second set also ran long - 50 minutes.

All in all, my team won. I found out later that our first set was actually the deciding set for the team. Phew! Glad I was able to close that one out :)

It's been a really hard day today; but, this was just what I needed. A long, grueling, almost 3-hour battle that ended as a personal tie, but an overall team win.

Goes to show that team greatness is just as sweet as personal greatness.

I feel much better now :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm playing tennis thursday. wanna join?

YoshRama said...

So what was the score of the third set?

Cressida said...

No 3rd set. League play is just two sets. Either lose both, win both, or split.