Saturday, June 21, 2008

ONE - FOUR

1-4. That's the score of both my tennis playoff matches today. One point for my team, and four for the opposing teams - yes, my teams lost :(

The morning started off at 11AM with my 3.5 team, it was 102 degrees; and usually 10 degrees higher on the tennis courts. One singles player won, the other retired of heat stroke, and the rest of the team ran out of energy. We walked away disappointed, thirsty, and exhausted.

4PM, 106 degrees. It was time for my 3.0 team (the one I captain) to battle for a spot in sectionals. We took frequent breaks, cooling off with an iced towel; but, the reliefs were short lived. As soon as we stepped back out onto the courts, the rubber on our shoes were melting and stuck to the pavement. Our feet were scorched. Our sweat stung our eyes. The sun beat us down.

My team has not played a match in the late afternoon, and we only practice at night; compared to the other team who always played their game in the afternoon. Since this was their home court, and were better adapted to the heat, they overcame us and kicked us out of sectionals.

It was a good season for both teams. Just really sad that neither went as far as we hoped.

My game is still not up to par since I sprained my ankles. I am going to work and hone in on my tennis skills. The spring season may be over; but, the Tri-Level and Fall Doubles seasons are going to be here soon...I will be ready.

2 comments:

YoshRama said...

Ow! Sounds like a scorching day! The rubber melting into the pavement... :(
Hey, actually it kind of reminds me of walking around barefoot midday at the temples in India. The stone ground got sooo hot!!!! I would not be able to play tennis if my feet felt like that!

I think you've had a good tennis season though! You'll kick butt next season!

Anonymous said...

You did well and I'm proud of you.

T. Budz