Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Blockbuster Week

Saw several movies this past week, the first was I Am Legend. It had mostly the same structure as the original novel and movie. It's a love it or hate it movie; meaning, people will either love it, or hate it. Go see it for yourself; but, be warned - it took me a few hours to unnerve myself. This movie was real intense.

Movies adapted from novels are never as good as the book, at least I have never seen one. Atonement was no exception. Although I thought Atonement was a good movie on its own, it simply did not do Ian McEwan's writing justice. Some even found the movie to be long and slow. If you believe you would feel the same way, I suggest you see it anyway and watch it with an artistic eye. Appreciate the art of film making and immerse yourself in great cinematography, good direction, and incredible acting.

Speaking of great acting, Charlie Wilson's War had a brilliant cast. What can I say...good plot, great characters, Tom Hanks, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Julia Roberts. This movie speaks for itself.

A complete opposite of Charlie Wilson's War was The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep. I wanted to see a cutesy flick and instead, wound up annoyed. All the cute parts were in the trailer - that was it! I would've liked to see more development between the characters, it felt cut off and unresolved. Mixing the cutesy story of a water horse against a backdrop of the World War was not a good idea either. The war concept overpowered what was supposed to be a family movie.

To end my week, the clear and obvious choice was to see Sweeney Todd. I have not seen it on Broadway and was really unfamiliar with the story. I loved it! Dark, yet pasty. Gory, yet delectable. Predictable, yet engaging. Dim, yet beautiful. Each frame was like a well-composed photograph. This was a nice end to my Blockbuster week.

I saw everything from horror, romance, political, "family", to musical. I think I covered the bases this week. Until the next set of blockbusters...

2 comments:

Pepper said...

I saw I Am Legend last night and it was a HUGE mistake. I had no idea it would be so sad! I almost had to leave the theater because I couldn't pull myself together with all the sobbing. (And I'm sure you can guess what part that was). NOOO!!! There is a reason my mom won't even let me watch Bambi.

Indigo Serpent said...

I watched Love in the Time of Cholera thinking that it will be just as engaging as the book- which I read in a day during a delayed flight from NY. Yeah...movies based on novels are a little different- but I love the effortless enjoyment of watching a novel unfolds on the big screen.