Saturday, October 3, 2009

Jazz Concert

I was so excited to find out that Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at the Lincoln Center Orchestra was going to be in town. I looked up tickets and they were a bit pricey for my taste (unless I sat in the nose-bleed section). Since it is a big deal for me to see Wynton, I was going to buy them anyway; but the problem was finding someone else that would shell out money to see them - you won't believe this, but there's just not enough people that like jazz! Get your act together people! You're certainly missing out! ;)

As luck would have it, I did not have to pay for tickets anyway. Last week, I happened to finish my exam 30 min early and got to my car earlier than usual. I turn my radio on and hear "10th caller gets to see Wynton Marsalis at Royce Hall in UCLA."

I've won a total of two times on the radio. Once for correctly identifying a movie from a quote (the movie was Princess Bride), and second from finishing my exam at the right moment, to get me to hear announcement at the right time, and become the 10th caller! YAY!

I did manage to find another Jazz enthusiast in my friend Jackie, and we had a great night at UCLA last night. It was a 2-hr concert that felt like 30 min; full of blaring sounds and great rhythm. It was extremely fun and exciting, I worked so hard to keep myself from swingin' away and stay in my seat!

It was such a delight, we were left unfocused on the way home and ended up on Rodeo Drive (the opposite direction). Not a terrible detour. But we found our way back eventually, still enamored by the great jazz that was.

No comments: