Sunday, July 12, 2009

Adventures of the Copper - Colored Hat . Chapter 2

Chapter 2, Santa Barbara French Festival, July 12 2009

I’ve been stuffed in this bag for hours! I know she has to be taking us to someplace exciting. Her uncle with the straw fedora hat is with her, along with someone I’ve never met: Diane.

Finally, we are stopped. She gives me a few shakes and I am back in shape! Wow. Where are we? I see trees, booths, flags, dogs, and people, LOTS of people. Chairs are laid out in front of a stage; and I see a smaller stage further back. There is a tower up ahead, and we take photos against it, as well as next to a cardboard cut out of a short soldier man that Cris got excited over; although I don’t know who he his and what the big deal is, I go where my anchor takes me.

We cross a wooden bridge and find a much larger stage. A breeze brings a hint of lavender, but it is overcome by the aroma of crepes, berries, and caramel from a few booths down. She makes sure to visit each vendor booth, lingering longer when something catches her eye. Another breeze blows by, this time with a stronger scent of lavender. There are more people on this side of the bridge. Loud drums, people cheering and clapping, what a fun place this is! We go around the stage and VOILA! A booth selling lavender! So calming and refreshing.

We park ourselves on a bench after eating lunch and watch the different shows as they come on stage. It is mid-afternoon now and our new friend Diane seems to be particularly eager for the next show: Traditional Dances of France. Apparently, she is from France, Brittany to be exact. Next thing we know she has dragged us on stage to join in on the dances. Cris remembers to tighten me up and I am secured as she spins, taps, bounces, twirls, and sways.

The afternoon was filled with shows and demonstrations, I can tell they are all getting tired. So why are we still here? Diane accompanies us to the nearest place to get coffee – a hospital cafeteria. That’s right, we were completely embedded in a residential area that there are absolutely no shops within walking distance. You would think that at least one of the booths would carry coffee, but you would be sadly mistaken.

The sun is beginning to set and soon, Cris won’t need my shade anymore. I wonder what it is they are waiting for. We are back in the larger stage and it is the most crowded it has been all day. People cheer as introductions are made. The stage is set, and out comes…a woman, no a man. Wait. It’s a man dressed as a woman! Everyone else finds this just as amusing as I do! They are singing and dancing, How exciting!

The show and festivities come to an end just as the sun fades out. Cris stuffs me back in her bag as they take their final photos and begin their drive back home.

No comments: