Tuesday, July 29, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!

This cannot wait! I just experienced my first earthquake here in CA and am a little freaked. It happened just a few minutes ago and I never jumped under my desk so quickly in my life! I don't understand why the building is not being evacuated right now - are we not concerned of an aftershock?

People around me are calm and laughing. I am not quite there yet; being the girl from Utah.

OOOHHH, the building just shook again...is that the aftershock?

Okay, I want to get out now.

================================================
12:05 PM - So apparently, there can be more than one aftershock; but, not the same size as the original quake.

News says it was a 5.8.

====================================================

12:30 PM - Just got back from a quick trip outside. I really had to get out. Funny, everyone was eating lunch outside. I wanted to take the stairs but since the fire alarm would go off so I was forced to take the elevators - that was pretty nerve racking.

12:59 - I just realized this is Java's first earthquake too. I wonder how he is doing...

=====================================================

Back at home - exciting day at work today. Came home to a seemingly unaffected Java; he was just happy to see me, as always. My room is a mess! My picture frames fell, one of them on my laptop - but it's working fine. All was restored but one frame - the one from the Strut Your Mutt event in Sugarhouse, UT 2005. The glass cracked in three places.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you ade it through. My sister is working with someone and it was their first one too. You're taking it a lot better. My sister said he's really freaking out. Like bad. So I'm glad you took it well!

bennie said...

the last time i experienced an earthquake was in the philippines, so very long time ago. am glad you and ate ains are ok.

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad they taught us to hide under our desks in elementary school?

Anonymous said...

there were over 30 aftershocks. welcome to CA. wait until you drive and one happens. it feels like someone hit you from behind and then you stare at all the drivers around you.

YoshRama said...

haha, I love the comment above about "staring at all the drivers around you."

Glad you and Java are okay!! Sorry about your frame. :(